The main purpose of a literature review is to show your reader that you have read the previous work related to the topic of your dissertation. You can write the literature review for your dissertation by reading the some online sources, dissertation samples, assignments and also journal articles. This literature review is very important in order to understand the objective of your dissertation. In this way, you will also be able to know that what should be the findings and results of your dissertation. In short, the literature review of your dissertation is also very important. Some characteristics of a dissertation literature review are given below;
- It gives us a comparison of your work and other authors’ work regarding to the topic of your dissertation.
- It also provides us information that how your work is different from the other people’ work.
- It will also give important information about the research methodology.
- It will also highlight the gaps between the research.
- It will also show us that how your study is related with the previous studies.
- It will also provide us the limits of our studies.
- The literature review will also save us from the plagiarism.
- A literature review will also tell us the limitations of our research and in this way, the doors for the further research will be opened.
The basic aim of describing the different characteristics of a literature review is to show you the importance of a literature review. A literature review is not a short summary of your dissertation like the conclusion. It is also a very long task. For example, if you are going to write your dissertation of 15,000 words, then it is necessary for you to write a literature review of at least 5,000 words.
As we know that a dissertation is written in the English language, in the similar way, a literature review is also written in English language. When we are going to write such a lengthy piece of writing, then it is necessary for us that our writing skills should be good. In this regard, we should be innovative. We have the ability to write a specific text into our own words. If we try to write anything as it is, then there will occur plagiarism issues in our dissertation. Moreover, we should also try to write the things in a coherent way.
We should also try to pay full concentration on the English grammar, punctuation and spelling when we are going to write the literature review of our dissertation. Moreover, the sentence structure should also be impressive. In short, if you are going to write a literature review for your dissertation, then the most important thing for you is that your writing skills should be impressive. If you don’t have good writing skills, then you should try to improve the writing skills. Its reason is that you will not be able to write such a lengthy task without the impressive writing skills.